Monday, August 6, 2012

Our 2012 - 2013 Homeschool Curriculum (3rd Grader, 2nd Grader, and 2 Preschoolers!)



I love planning. I think part of the reason homeschooling appealed to me so much (in addition to the obvious reasons!) was that I get to do a whole lot of planning and list-making. Most of our books are here, and we are just about ready to go: two weeks until school starts! Here's what we're using this year:

For the Older Kids (3rd and 2nd Grade)


I can't believe I have a third grader. When did that happen?

Yes, curriculum. Here's what we're using. For the most part, Pooks and Sauce do the same things for history, science, French, grammar, and math. Spelling, reading, and writing are all subjects they do at their own pace.



Language Arts:

Grammar: First Language Lessons for the Well-Trained Mind 2

Spelling: Spelling Workout B (Sauce) and C (Pooks) {I fully expect to have to buy the next level of each for both girls at some point during the school year. They enjoy spelling and absorb it very quickly.}

Writing: Writing Strands 2 and 3

Reading: I've said before that we generally follow the Classical education model outlined in The Well-Trained Mind. However, reading is one of the areas in which we deviate from a strictly Classical approach. I may mix in some readings that tie into our history study, but for the most part, I've come up with a reading list for each of my older girls based on quality children's literature. Pooks' reading list is mostly comprised of novels, such as Trumpet of the Swan, Black Beauty, Through the Looking Glass, etc.

{Tip: Look in the dollar section at Target -- seriously. They have a decent selection of Junior Classics for Young Readers in right now, and though they are abridged editions of classic novels, I think they're a great way to familiarize my girls with these well-loved books. In a year or two, we'll read the full edition of each, and I think it will be interesting to compare the abridged and unabridged editions as a lesson all its own.}

Sauce is starting out with some quality picture books (Frog and Toad are Friends, Swamp Angel, Strega Nona, etc., and then transitioning into some of those Junior Classics once she's ready.)

History:

The Story of the World Volume 3: Early Modern Times -- This is our first year using Susan Wise Bauer's Story of the World series, and I'm looking forward to it. Many of the topics in Bauer's book will be supplemented by books from the library as well.

Science: 

Elemental Science: Earth Science and Astronomy for the Grammar Stage

Math:

Math is something that I want them to become fully comfortable with, so it doesn't become as stressful as it was for me throughout school. I am letting them work through it at their own pace, and at this point, we're using a combination of workbooks and Khan Academy, as well as games and activities to reinforce math concepts (I found several good ideas in the book Family Math that we will be using this year -- definitely worth a look if you want to work more math into your day-to-day life!).

Dorling Kindersley's Math Made Easy 2nd and 3rd Grade
Khan Academy Math

French:

Muzzy French

"Extras":

Art: we're doing regular picture study, and the kids will be learning to create with chalk pastels this year, with help from their dad (I decided to have them work in chalk pastels after reading the tutorials over on HodgePodge.)

Music Appreciation: We'll be listening to a different composer each week.

Nature Study: Sometimes, this will be worked into our formal science study, but in general I want to make nature study something we do more regularly.

For the Preschoolers:


I'm making each Little a binder full of practice sheets in page protectors (I'll pull together a list of what I'm including) to be their quiet work, since they want to "do school" now, too. They can work in the binders while I'm busy with the older girls. The bulk of our activity will be reading, reading, reading! We'll also be playing games, doing experiments from Mudpies to Magnets, and covering the main topics in What Your Preschooler Needs to Know. At this age, I really believe that they should be engaged in free, creative play.

So, that's the plan! I am ready to go, and the kids are excited to start school as well.

I'm linking up to the NOT Back to School blog hop over at iHomeschool Network!



16 comments:

  1. Glad to see someone else with a second grader. I agree with you about math. Laying that foundation is everything. We use Singapore and love it. I will have to check out your art link. My DD loves art. Have you seen the blog "That Artist Woman" or "Deep Space Sparkle"?These both have fun projects by age. Hope you all have a wonderful year.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have heard so many good things about Singapore math! I am not familiar with those blogs -- I'll have to check them out. Thanks for sharing them!

    ReplyDelete
  3. We are going to use Story of the World for the first time this year...although I say that every year! I will check back in to see how your study is going.
    ; 0 )

    I also love Family Math! Fun activities!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by, Karin! I hope you have a great school year!

      Delete
  4. Looks like an awesome year! Wish I'd known about Khan academy earlier than last year. What a fabulous resource!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Sarah! Yes -- we LOVE Khan Academy. My 7 year old will do just about anything to spend time on the computer, so it is perfect for her. :-)

      Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  5. I love making lists, too. We've used the chalk pastel tutorials at Hodgepodge as well, they are terrific!

    Heidi @ Home Schoolroom

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Heidi! Glad to hear it -- we are very much looking forward to starting with the chalk pastel tutorials.

      Thank you for stopping by!

      Delete
  6. Ahh! Another person using WTM as a starting point! I used the first Language Lessons, but not the 2nd. Do you like it?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Betsy! I loved the first Language Lessons book, and the 2nd looks just as good. It builds on what they learned in the first book, so there is plenty of review in addition to new material.

      Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  7. Looks like you have a busy year ahead of year. I love the page protector idea, especially if you have other little ones who will need them eventually.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I can't take credit for that -- I think I saw the page protector binder page idea from Carisa over at 1+1+1=1. It will definitely save on paper, which is always a good thing!

      Delete
  8. You've got a lot of our favorites on your list, so I'm sure that you'll have a great year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope so! :-) Thanks for stopping by, Paige!

      Delete
  9. Here from the Blog Hop. I have a preschooler too and I'm going to let her play - she does, however, want to be doing kindergarten work to, so I have a few little matching bags and such for her. Have a great year! I'm excited to follow you along!

    ReplyDelete
  10. We too are lovers of the Junior Classics! Looks like a great year ahead for you! Blessings!

    Dee

    ReplyDelete